Mail fails in fight against anonymity at Leveson Inquiry
James Cusick is political correspondent of The Independent and The Independent on Sunday. As an experienced member of the lobby, he has previously worked at The Sunday Times and the BBC. His career as a journalist has been split between print and television, including senior positions as producer with Sir David Frost and at BBC Newsnight. He is also an award-winning golf and travel writer, working for over a decade as the UK contributing editor for one of the USA’s leading golf magazines. He broadcasts regularly for the BBC and CNN. He lives in London.
Saturday 21 January 2012
Journalists who fear their testimony could end their careers will be able to remain anonymous if they appear at the Leveson Inquiry.
Three High Court judges yesterday dismissed an application by Associated Newspapers, publishers of the Daily Mail, to block anonymous evidence. The Mail group claimed that if journalists were allowed to withhold their names, untested evidence which tarnished the reputation of the Daily Mail could be heard.
Lord Justice Toulson, Mr Justice Sweeney and Mrs Justice Sharp ruled that it was not for the court to "micro-manage the conduct" of the inquiry into press ethics and practices, being chaired by Lord Justice Leveson.
Lawyers representing the National Union of Journalists, and counsel for some of the victims, opposed the attempt to block anonymous evidence.
Associated were seeking a judicial review of the decision, given by Lord Justice Leveson early in his review.
At the beginning of the first public phase of his inquiry, he announced that he had been approached by newspaper journalists who indicated the descriptions they intended to paint of their industry were "not entirely consistent with the picture that editors and proprietors have painted".
He said some journalists feared they might lose their jobs if they offered critical evidence.
During the review hearing last week, counsel for the Mail argued that the press were "on trial" at the Leveson Inquiry and that Associated Newspapers were particularly threatened. The inquiry's leading counsel, Robert Jay QC, described the Mail's application as "premature" and said the inquiry had to decide between "hearing evidence from anonymous witnesses and not hearing it all".
Next week, Mazher Mahmood, the former News of the World star reporter also known as the "Fake Sheikh", will return to the witness stand on Wednesday.
Monday's witness list is dominated by leading figures from British television including, Jim Gray, the editor of Channel Four News and Mark Thompson, the BBC's director-general.
Nepal earthquake: How you can help victims of the Kathmandu disaster
Nepal earthquake in pictures: Photos show devastation caused by 7.8 magnitude earthquake
Royal baby: Live updates as superbug closes ward at St Mary's Hospital in London where Duchess of Cambridge is due to give birth
Teaching profession headed for crisis as numbers continue to drop and working lives become 'unbearable'
General Election 2015: The photo of a tree that proves the Tories have an image problem
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
General Election 2015: Britain would become a 'communist dictatorship' under Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon, claims wife of Michael Gove
- 2 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 The most powerful passports in the world
- 5 Chinese student carries disabled friend to school every day for three years