Man accused of murdering schoolgirl Christina Edkins deemed 'unfit to plead'
Friday 31 May 2013
A man accused of stabbing a schoolgirl to death on a bus has been deemed unfit to plead until later this year.
Phillip Simelane, 22, is accused of murdering 16-year-old Christina Edkins as she travelled on a bus in Birmingham.
Christina was stabbed as she travelled to school on the top deck of a double decker bus at about 7.30am on the Hagley Road, on March 7.
Simelane did not appear for the 15-minute hearing at Birmingham Crown Court today.
Prosecutor Peter Grieve-Smith told the court doctors had deemed that Simelane remained unfit to plead or stand trial.
He said he expected Simelane to be in a position to plead in two to four months.
Friends and family were in court including the victim's father Jason Edkins. All were wearing splashes of purple in memory of the teenager.
Simelane was remanded back into Reaside secure mental health hospital.
He will next appear for a plea and case management hearing on September 6 at Birmingham Crown Court.
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27