Man arrested for murder of Birmingham couple
Sunday 15 January 2012
Detectives were last night questioning a 24-year-old man in connection with the murder of a Birmingham couple battered to death in their home. West Midlands Police said officers arrested the man at a house in Birmingham on Friday. The arrest followed the discovery of the bodies of Avtar Kolar, 62, and his wife, Carole, 58, at their home in Handsworth Wood, Birmingham, by their policeman son on Wednesday. The couple had been married for 40 years.
Detective Superintendent Richard Baker said yesterday: "This was a horrendous attack. We thank those who have called us so far. We encourage anyone with information to speak to us, no matter how insignificant they feel the detail is." Police say they are looking at several inquiry lines, including the rise in burglaries and gold thefts in the area.
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
- 1 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 2 Licence fee: What is the BBC charge – and how will the changes affect you?
- 3 This is what the photographer has to say about the picture of a weasel riding a woodpecker
- 4 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 5 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for