Man found dead in burning car was murdered, say police
A man found dead in a burning car is believed to have been murdered, police said today.
Officers were called to Chilworth Drove, Chilworth, Hampshire, by fire crews at 1.30am on Tuesday after firefighters who had been tackling the blaze became aware of a body in the Mercedes car.
A police spokesman said: "Hampshire Constabulary can confirm that the man involved in a car fire in Chilworth in the early hours of Tuesday is believed to have been dead before the fire took hold.
"Police are now treating the death as murder and are appealing for anyone who may have seen the car involved, identified as a silver two-door Mercedes C200 CDI, driving in or around Southampton late on Monday night or in the early hours of Tuesday to call 101.
"Post-mortem examination results indicate the body is that of a young adult male, although his identity or cause of death is still not clear."
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 4 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 5 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.