Man held after 2kg of heroin found in wedding dress
Thursday 07 June 2012
A man is in custody after customs officers found 2kg of heroin hidden in a wedding dress, the Border Force said today.
Officials discovered the package, with an estimated street value of £90,000, in a suitcase at Heathrow airport.
It had been sewn into the hems of a traditional Pakistani bridal gown and was found on Sunday June 3, the force said.
Mohammed Khalil Bhatti, 33, from Pakistan, was arrested and charged with importation offences. He had earlier arrived at Terminal 3 on a flight from Karachi.
Bhatti appeared before magistrates in Uxbridge, west London, on Tuesday where he was remanded in custody to appear again on July 3.
A 30-year-old man from the Luton area was also arrested and later bailed pending further inquiries.
Damon Jackman, Border Force Heathrow deputy director, said: "This seizure was highly unusual and shows the lengths smugglers will go to.
"But Border Force officers are on constant alert to keep heroin and other banned substances out of the UK.
"Drug trafficking is a serious offence and those convicted face long prison sentences."
Oscars 2015: Birdman beats Boyhood as Eddie Redmayne and Patricia Arquette win big - as it happened
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
- 1 Liam Gallagher brands Kanye West 'utter s**t' during BRIT Awards performance
- 2 Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
- 3 People who sleep more than eight hours are more likely to have a stroke, research shows
- 4 Kanye West climbs on table at Nando's to crowd chants of 'Yeezus' before Brit Awards 2015 performance of 'All Day'
- 5 New theory could prove how life began and disprove God