Met Police contradicts Soca to MPs on hacking inquiry
Tuesday 09 July 2013
From the blogs
Peter Capaldi’s letter to Radio Times in praise of Doctor Who, aged 15
It has emerged that the Thick of It star has been a fan of Doctor Who for over forty years. The acto...
Interview with Kozzie, the young veteran
Lewisham MC Kozzie may be young, but when he speaks about his experiences in the grime scene you wou...
Social media keeps Mexico’s elites in check
A Mexican police officer has been fired after a YouTube video showing him humiliating a child sparke...
Children’s Book Blog: Recommended read – The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
A mysterious villain tasked with murdering an entire family finds his mission thwarted when the youn...
Related articles
Scotland Yard heaped fresh pressure on one of Britain’s most senior law enforcement officials when a senior Met detective directly contradicted evidence given to Parliament by the head of the Serious Organised Crime Agency (Soca).
Trevor Pearce, the agency’s director-general, has come under fire after telling MPs last week that his investigators immediately passed key computers containing evidence of hacking by blue-chip companies, high-profile individuals and law firms to the Metropolitan Police.
However Commander Neil Basu, who is leading the Met’s multiple inquiries into phone hacking and the bribing of public officials by newspapers, said that his officers did not have all the evidence seized by Soca during another inquiry in 2009.
When the Home Affairs Select Committee asked if the Met “had the hard drives”, Commander Basu said: “We wouldn’t necessarily possess all the information from that previous investigation.”
This jars with what Mr Pearce told the Committee last week, when he said: “As soon as we became aware that there may have been information on (the computer)... all of that information – the hard drive, supporting documentary evidence, statements, and indeed follow-up inquiries from our officers – was provided to the Metropolitan Police.” Mr Pearce has been reported to the Independent Police Complaints Commission by the hacking victim Ian Hurst, who claims the Soca chief committed “contempt of Parliament”.
Keith Vaz MP, chairman of the Home Affairs Select Committee, said: “There is a gap between what the head of Soca told us last week and what Scotland Yard has told us today. This is serious and the Committee will be writing urgently to both organisations to seek clarification.”
Investigators from Soca seized hard drives from an investigator working for the News of the World during a raid in 2009. Despite evidence of criminality, he was not investigated for serious offences until the phone-hacking scandal erupted in 2011.
It is understood the investigator has privately admitted working on behalf of an array of clients, including celebrities, high-profile businessmen and private companies such as law firms.
Following revelations two weeks ago in The Independent, the Home Affairs Select Committee asked Soca to provide a list of the clients who had commissioned the private investigator who “are not newspaper people”.
Parliament questioned several senior Met officers were asked about other damaging revelations, including claims undercover police officers sought “dirt” to discredit the family of Stephen Lawrence. Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe, the Metropolitan Police Commissioner, said the allegations were shocking.
- 1 Is the Muslim call to prayer really such a menace?
- 2 Channel 4 to 'provoke' viewers who associate Islam with terrorism with live call to prayer during Ramadan
- 3 US army doctor returns arm to Vietnamese soldier fifty years after he took it as a souvenir
- 4 Police seize possessions of rough sleepers in crackdown on homelessness
- 5 Demand for food banks has nothing to do with benefits squeeze, says Work minister Lord Freud
-
Man dies after disabled parking space row at Bedfordshire Asda
-
Zero-hours contracts: One million British workers could be affected
-
'The party is over': Spain threatens €50 border fee as Gibraltar row with UK escalates
-
‘Big lie’ behind the bedroom tax: Families trapped with nowhere to move face penalty for having spare room
-
Egypt: Mohamed Morsi's allies admit defeat and plot to fly him into exile
How will you make today delicious?
Tell us how you plan to make today delicious and you could win a £50 M&S gift card.
Win a three-night weekend break for two in Stockholm
Hesperus Press are offering the chance to win a three-night weekend away for two to Stockholm.
Summer food reader survey
Take our grocery shopping survey for your chance to win a £100 M&S store gift card.
See Norway’s spectacular coastline
There is no finer way to discover and explore the dramatic Norwegian coastline than aboard an authentic Hurtigruten cruise.
Where's Wallonia?
War and peace: history revisited in the cities of Southern Belgium - a travel guide in association with the Belgian Tourist Office.
Win first-class inter-rail passes
Win first-class rail passes to explore the sights and sounds of Europe with redspottedhanky.com.
Celebrate the joy of reading with NOOK®
You can buy a NOOK Simple Touch Glowlight at £69, or the NOOK HD 8GB Tablet for just £99 - until 3 September.
Enter the latest Independent competitions
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Business videos from commercial thought leaders
Watch the best in the business world give their insights into the world of business.
Day In a Page
Special report: How my father's face turned up in Robert Capa's lost suitcase
The unmade speech: An alternative draft of history
Funny business: Meet the women running comedy
DJ Taylor: Who stole the people's own culture?
Guest List: IoS Literary Editor suggests some books for your summer holiday
Rupert Cornwell: What if Edward Snowden had stayed to fight his corner?
Comedian Tig Notaro: 'Hello. I have cancer'
Bill Granger's Asia-influenced egg recipes
