Met win Glenn Mulcaire statement access
Monday 30 July 2012
The Metropolitan Police have won access to a witness statement filed by private investigator Glenn Mulcaire relating to who instructed him to intercept PR consultant Nicola Phillips's voicemail.
This follows a ruling against Mulcaire in the Supreme Court earlier this month that he cannot rely on privilege against self-incrimination.
Ordering disclosure of the statement to the Met, High Court judge Mr Justice Vos said disclosure "will not be unduly unfair to Mr Mulcaire or to any other potential defendants in the (phone hacking) case".
The court heard disclosure could open up new lines of inquiry in the high-profile phone-hacking litigation.
The Supreme Court ruled Mulcaire, who worked for the now-defunct News of the World, must disclose the identity of the "person instructing him" to lawyers representing Ms Phillips, an assistant to public relations consultant Max Clifford. She claims her phone was hacked and wants damages.
Mulcaire subsequently made a statement on July 20, and today the Met applied for access to it.
The application was opposed by Mulcaire.
His lawyers argued that being forced to disclose his statement to the police would be "unfair and oppressive".
But the judge said he had to take into account the public interest in investigating alleged serious crime.
He described the Mulcaire statement - its contents cannot be revealed by order of the court - as "one brick in a very large wall".
The judge added: "Nevertheless the Mulcaire statement does contain positive information which may be of some benefit to the police investigation."
It would be "most undesirable" for the police service responsible for investigating criminal allegations of phone hacking to be "kept in the dark" regarding evidence that had come to light in civil proceedings.
The judge said investigations had already led to charges against eight people including former Sun editor Rebekah Brooks.
Jonathan Dixey, appearing for the Met, told him the police were still considering bringing "further charges against further people - and doesn't rule out further charges against Mr Mulcaire".
Weather bomb in pictures: Storms cuts power for tens of thousands – and snow is on the way
Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
Russell Brand was rendered speechless on Question Time by this man
Fury at Airbus after it hints the super-jumbo may be mothballed
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits 'record low' as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
Sony hack: Angelina Jolie branded 'seriously out of her mind' in further embarrassing leaked email saga
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more