The mother of a 22 month old girl killed in a house fire has been jailed for "causing or allowing" the death of her daughter.
The toddler, Jodie Ann Brown, died from smoke inhalation after fire broke out at a Coventry home in July of last year. She had been left alone in an unventilated room for more than three hours.
Her mother, Michelle Brown, 37, was jailed for seven and a half years at Coventry Crown Court today. She was also charged with perverting the course of justice after trying to cover her tracks following the fire.
During the trial it emerged that Brown, a mother of five, was attending a hearing relating to one of her other children at the time of the fire.
It was later discovered that the fire was caused by a faulty television in the bedroom.
Tim Green prosecuting said Brown "took a dreadful risk" leaving the toddler unattended.Reuse content