Mikaeel Kular death: Toddler's mother Rosdeep makes no plea as she appears in court charged with murder

Ms Kular has also been charged with attempting to defeat the ends of justice, prosecutors at Edinburgh Sheriff Court said

Click to follow

The mother of three-year-old Mikaeel Kular has appeared in court today charged with the boy's murder, prosecutors said.

Rosdeep Kular, 33, was also charged with attempting to defeat the ends of justice, and just before 4pm attended a brief private hearing before Sheriff Frank Crowe at Edinburgh Sheriff Court.

Ms Kular, who was charged under her married name of Adekoya, made no plea or declaration and was remanded in custody following the hearing.

Mikaeel Kular went missing from his home in Ferry Gait Crescent, Edinburgh, on Thursday, and more than 200 volunteers joined police and other agencies searching for the little boy.

His remains were found shortly before midnight on Friday, in an area of woodland behind a house in Kirkcaldy, Fife where Ms Kular and her five children used to live.

Police Scotland Assistant Chief Constable Malcolm Graham announced late on Saturday that a 33-year-old woman, now confirmed to be Ms Kular, had been arrested and charged.

He said: “During the course of today, the investigation into the disappearance of Mikaeel Kular has continued at pace.

“Following formal identification, I can now confirm that a 33-year-old woman has been arrested and charged in connection with Mikaeel's death.”


A major police investigation was launched to trace Mikaeel when his mother said the family awoke at 7.15am on Thursday morning to find the child missing.

Ms Kular had told police Mikaeel was last seen when she put him to bed at about 9pm on Wednesday.

Forensic teams worked throughout the weekend at the back of the bungalow some 25 miles away in Fife where the body was found.

It is now the home of Pandeep Kular, 37, Mikaeel’s aunt and Rosdeep Kular’s sister. She told the Sunday People: “We're devastated. I'm with the kids… We’ve just lost him.”

Dr Bangarpet Krishnaswamy, who is married to Mikaeel's grandmother, gave an emotional tribute to those who helped search for the little boy, the Sunday Mirror said.

He said: “I would like to thank all the public and the police for the search, which sadly turned out to be a futile.”

kular-search-bbc.jpgMr Graham also thanked the volunteers and agencies who provided “overwhelming public assistance” to Police Scotland during the course of their investigation.

More than 500 calls were made to a dedicated phone line set up in the wake of Mikaeel's disappearance.

A number of floral tributes, soft toys and candles have been placed at a small park near Mikaeel's home.

In Edinburgh, around 500 people attended a memorial service at Muirhouse St Andrew's Church on Saturday night, less than a mile from the home Mikaeel shared with his mother, twin sister and three other siblings.


There was a large queue to get into the church well in advance of the service. The crowds ultimately filled the 300-capacity building and an extra overflow room.

Men, women and children of all ages attended the memorial gathering. Some very young children clutched soft toys while a handful of people held lanterns.

At the end of the gathering, all those who had attended exited carrying the remains of candles they had been holding during the service.

Meanwhile, Derbyshire Police said they had assisted colleagues at Police Scotland by arresting a man on suspicion of sending offensive tweets in relation to the disappearance of the toddler.

A force spokesman said: “Officers arrested the 26-year-old Heanor man this morning on suspicion of committing a racially aggravated public order offence.

“Members of the public in Edinburgh had complained about the content of some Twitter messages linked to the disappearance of three-year-old Mikaeel Kular.

“The man was questioned and released on police bail while the Crown Prosecution Service considers the case.”

Police arrested two men over alleged offences in relation to posts on social media

Police Scotland confirmed a 19-year-old man had also been arrested with the assistance of Hampshire Police, over remarks “of a racist nature” allegedly posted to a social media site.

He has since been bailed while enquiries continue.

A force spokesman said, in both cases, the remarks made online were reported to police by concerned members of the public.

He added that officers from Police Scotland then liaised with colleagues from Hampshire Constabulary and Derbyshire Constabulary to identify the individuals responsible for the posts.

Chief Supt Mark Williams, Police Scotland Edinburgh divisional commander, said: “Any reports of racist, offensive or abusive comments made online will be thoroughly investigated.

“If you commit an offence, we will investigate it and you will be prosecuted.”

Additional reporting by PA