Mother who shaved son's head in cancer scam jailed
Wednesday 14 November 2012
A mother who shaved her son's head and eyebrows to pretend he had cancer in an £85,000 benefit scam has been jailed for three years and nine months.
Emma La Garde, from Gloucestershire, forged doctors' notes and made it look as though her son was taking medication for cancer. She sent him to school in a wheelchair, where he was unable to play and became the "butt of jokes".
She fraudulently claimed £85,899 in benefits and used some of the money to take her children to Florida, where she made the boy sit in the wheelchair so they could jump queues. La Garde was also given a car.
She claimed he was suffering from autoimmune lymphoproliferative syndrome and later lymphoma – a type of cancer.
She kept up the fraud for three years while the boy was aged between six and eight, but was found out when his father became suspicious and went to his GP. She admitted child cruelty, fraud and forgery at Gloucester Crown Court.
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
- 1 Crystal meth addict 'gouged out his eyes and ate them' while high on drug, Australian MP claims
- 2 As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
- 3 The ten most unequal developed countries in the world
- 4 Saudi Arabia 'seeking to head United Nations Human Rights Council'
- 5 Toddler throws a tantrum at the White House – in front of Barack Obama