MPs 'put under NOTW surveillance'
Monday 14 November 2011
MPs looking into phone hacking at the News of the World were put under covert surveillance in 2009, it was claimed today.
Media commentator Roy Greenslade said the newspaper had used private investigators and journalists to trail "every member" of the Culture Select Committee.
The surveillance was ordered by a "senior executive" and continued for between three and 10 days, he told Sky News.
Mr Greenslade added that there was then a "complete change of heart at the top level" and "everyone was told to stop doing it, not to talk about and give up on the whole enterprise".
The current version of the committee is expected to discuss the claims when it meets tomorrow morning.
Labour MP Tom Watson cancelled his appearance at the Society of Editors' annual conference to seek advice from Speaker John Bercow and consider the "legal and constitutional" implications.
Louise Mensch, a Tory member of the committee, stressed there was "absolutely no proof" the claims were true but MPs would look into it.
"It is chilling, it is terrifying, it sort of says 'don't mess with us or we will come to get you'," she said.
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London