MP's wife sentenced for cat snatch
Saturday 29 October 2011
An MP's wife was given a nine-month suspended jail sentence yesterday for snatching a kitten from the home of her husband's mistress.
Christine Hemming, 53, from Moseley, Birmingham, was convicted of burglary by a jury at the city's Crown Court last month.
She was captured on CCTV stealing a four-month-old tabby from the home of Emily Cox, the long-term lover of the Liberal Democrat MP John Hemming. The kitten, which belonged to the daughter Mr Hemming had with Ms Cox, has not been seen since.
Mrs Hemming was also ordered to do 150 hours of community work and pay costs of £1,000.
Cameras filmed her crawling on her hands and knees beneath a window, then entering the property and emerging with the cat, named Beauty, under her arm. During the trial, she claimed she had been at the house only to drop off some post.
Mr Hemming said after the sentencing: "I'm not happy about the situation generally. It's not good, is it?" Mrs Hemming said: "I'm not a criminal, yet I have a conviction. I did not deliberately take the cat. The whole process has been very unfortunate. I think the cat's the victim."
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts
Greece debt crisis: Angela Merkel and Francois Hollande issue Athens with 24-hour ultimatum to avoid crashing out of the euro
Greece crisis: Referendum exposes a gaping hole at the heart of the European Union – its lack of genuine legitimacy
- 1 Florida man sentenced to two-and-a-half years for having sex on the beach in front of a child
- 2 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 3 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 4 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 5 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM