No charges for journalist Amelia Hill over 'leaks'
Cahal Milmo is the chief reporter of The Independent and has been with the paper since 2000. He was born in London and previously worked at the Press Association news agency. He has reported on assignment at home and abroad, including Rwanda, Sudan and Burkina Faso, the phone hacking scandal and the London Olympics. In his spare time he is a keen runner and cyclist, and keeps an allotment.
Wednesday 30 May 2012
From the blogs
David Prior's very personal reason for thinkg that investigators need appropriate expertise
Dozens of empty homes in two of Liverpool’s most deprived areas will be brought back into use thanks...
As a reluctant vegetarian (so reluctant that I'm not vegetarian at all) and a reluctant risotto eate...
Time for the monthly treat from David Hayes, who writes about British politics for the Australian In...
A journalist questioned under caution by police investigating leaks from inside Scotland Yard's phone-hacking investigation will not face criminal charges.
The Crown Prosecution Service says there is insufficient evidence to bring Amelia Hill, a reporter for The Guardian who has written extensively on the News of the World's phone hacking, and an unnamed Metropolitan Police detective to trial over claims that information about the identities of people arrested on suspicion of voicemail interception was leaked.
The decision to formally question Ms Hill, 37, raised concerns that contact between reporters and police sources was being criminalised. There was no suggestion that money was passed between them.
Alison Levitt, QC, principal legal advisor to the Director of Public Prosecutions, said: "The information disclosed by the police officer, although confidential, was not highly sensitive. It did not expose anyone to a risk of injury or death. It did not compromise the investigation."
The CPS said that between April and August last year, Ms Hill wrote 10 articles containing confidential information provided by the 51-year-old detective while he was working on Operation Weeting, the Met's inquiry into the phone-hacking scandal.
Ms Levitt said there was not enough evidence to bring charges against the pair relating to misconduct in a public office. She said there was sufficient evidence to prosecute them for a data protection offence, but that it was not in the public interest to do so.
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures