Nurse accused over saline deaths is refused bail
Saturday 06 August 2011
Rebecca Leighton, the nurse charged with contaminating saline solution at a hospital in Stockport, Greater Manchester, has been refused bail for her own safety.
She is on remand at Styal prison, having been arrested last month over the deaths of four patients at Stepping Hill Hospital.
Ms Leighton, 27, who was not in Manchester Crown Court yesterday, is due to appear for a plea and case management hearing on 17 October. She is accused of three counts of criminal damage with intent to endanger life and three counts of being reckless as to whether life was being endangered, with a trial date slated for February next year.
Her charges relate to alleged tampering with saline ampoules, saline bags and medical products.
Meanwhile, police are continuing to investigate the suspicious deaths of Tracey Arden, 44, Arnold Lancaster, 71, Derek Weaver, 83, and Vera Pearson, 84.
Further details of yesterday's hearing cannot be disclosed for legal reasons.
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Ferguson decision: Tea Party website mocks Michael Brown's family over T-shirt typo
Michael Brown shooting: Ten things we know – or know better – now the Ferguson grand jury's work is over
Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
Derren Brown on the disappointment of coming out: 'It’s not that people react badly to it – they really don't care'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film