Police admit they knew Milly Dowler was hacked
Surrey force says it knew in 2002 that the News of the World had accessed phone messages
Cahal Milmo is the chief reporter of The Independent and has been with the paper since 2000. He was born in London and previously worked at the Press Association news agency. He has reported on assignment at home and abroad, including Rwanda, Sudan and Burkina Faso, the phone hacking scandal and the London Olympics. In his spare time he is a keen runner and cyclist, and keeps an allotment.
Friday 21 October 2011
Surrey Police last night admitted for the first time it did know that the mobile phone of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler was hacked by the News of the World in the early stages of the investigation into the teenager's disappearance.
Following an investigation by The Independent which established that the force failed to take action against the Sunday newspaper despite being made aware of the hacking, Chief Constable Mark Rowley said the title had phoned the police operation room in April 2002 and disclosed that it had accessed her voicemail.
In a letter to the Home Affairs Select Committee, Mr Rowley said officers had "focused on retrieving any evidence the NOTW had that could assist in the investigation into Milly Dowler's disappearance", as that was the priority.
But the chief constable confirmed that no criminal investigation was launched into how the News International title obtained the information it provided and that Surrey Police "neither arrested nor charged anyone" in connection with the hacking.
An inquiry is now being conducted into why the force failed to pursue the NOTW, Mr Rowley said.
In a further significant admission, Surrey Police said it appeared the force had also failed to pass the information it held about the hacking of Milly's Nokia mobile phone to the Metropolitan Police during its heavily criticised original investigation into voicemail interception by the NOTW in 2006.
Keith Vaz, the committee's chairman, said: "Had Surrey Police acted in 2002, it may have prevented the culture of hacking becoming endemic at News of the World. This was a serious omission. The committee will be investigating further the reasons why Surrey Police did not follow up on this evidence."
The Surrey force's disclosure comes after The Independent last week revealed that senior Surrey Police detectives leading the Dowler investigation met on at least two occasions with NOTW journalists and were shown evidence that the paper held information taken from the voicemails of the murdered schoolgirl.
In response to repeated questions over a two-month period from The Independent, Surrey Police refused to confirm that it was aware of the phone hacking, saying it was prevented from discussing the allegations because of Scotland Yard's phone-hacking inquiry and an investigation by the Independent Police Complaints Commission.
Russell Brand accuses Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness
Kenny Ireland dead: Benidorm actor dies aged 68
Justin Bieber posts Instagram photo of Orlando Bloom crying after Ibiza fight 'over Miranda Kerr'
Air Algerie AH5017 crash: Jet fell 30,000 feet in three minutes ‘due to violent storm’
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- 1 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness
- 2 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 4 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 5 Kelsey Grammer forgives the man who raped and murdered his sister in 1975
- < Previous
- Next >