Pony pushed to death in lake by gang
Police are appealing for witnesses after a pony was pushed to its death in a lake.
A group of about 12 people are believed to have deliberately pushed the animal and its trap into Hawley Lake, Hampshire, yesterday. It died after getting submerged in the water.
A man tried to rescue the pony but sustained injuries as it kicked out.
He was taken to Frimley Park Hospital for treatment, a spokesman for Hampshire Constabulary said.
Police believe an unsuccessful attempt was made to push a second pony, also still attached to its trap, into the lake.
When the attempt failed, the group then drove the pony and trap away along Minley Road in the direction of Yateley, police said.
Officers launched a joint investigation with the RSPCA to establish the identity of the offenders and the motive behind the incident, which took place at around 5pm yesterday.
Anyone with information should call Steve Court of Farnborough Police on 0845 045 45 45 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 'He was lucky he didn't die' - George Michael fell out of speeding car onto M1 motorway, according to eye witness
- 2 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 3 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 4 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 5 'It was just like the movie Twister': Man survives Oklahoma tornado by taking refuge in horse stall
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Excellent Salary Package - £60K to £120K: Austen Lloyd: We have an exciting op...
£200 - £250 per day: Progressive Recruitment: Java Developer - Urgent Requirem...
£70000 - £95000 per annum + Bonus, flexible working hours, remote work: Progre...
£50000 - £56000 per annum + Benefits package, flexible working hours: Progress...