Portuguese police refuse to reopen Madeleine McCann case
Thursday 26 April 2012
Portuguese police have today said they will not be reopening the inquiry into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.
The decision follows a statement from the Metropolitan Police yesterday saying they believe Madeleine McCann could still be alive, and that they have identified 195 potential investigatory leads.
The Metropolitan Police also released an 'age-progressed' image showing what Madeleine might look like as a nine-year-old.
The parents of Madeleine McCann had today responded to the new momentum from the Metropolitan Police in the case of their missing daughter, saying they were 'hugely encouraged.'
Kate McCann was said to be 'particularly pleased' with the age-progressed image which she says shows a strong family resemblance.
Next week will mark five years since Madeleine went missing from her family's Algarve holiday flat as her parents, Kate and Gerry McCann, dined nearby.
Yesterday, Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood, who is leading the investigation into Madeline's disappearance, said he believed that it was a case of stranger abduction.
He also said there were 195 "investigative opportunities."
Mr Redwood said that his team of more than 30 officers had been to Portugal seven times, including a visit to the McCann's holiday flat in Praia da Luz.
There have been hundreds of possible sightings and leads since the little girl disappeared age three, last year.
The Portuguese refusal to re-examine her disappearance came today following a statement from the family spokesman.
Clarence Mitchell said, "They (Scotland Yard) believe that it is quite possible that Madeleine could still be alive and that is what Kate and Gerry have said throughout the five years and they are hugely encouraged by all of this momentum in the case."
He said that, like the British police, Mr and Mrs McCann want the case to be reopened.
But he added such a move was "up to the Portuguese authorities".
The investigation into Madeleine's disappearance was closed by Portuguese police in 2008 after 15 months.
The Portuguese police had said only evidence from a 'serious, pertinent and authoritative' source would cause the investigation to be reopened.
Portuguese detectives are also thought to want the case to be reopened but must gain judicial approval in order to do so.
Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
Woman accidentally shoots herself in the head while posing for a selfie
How China's richest man Li Hejun lost $15bn in an hour - and made a fortune
Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
Snoop Dogg on why he doesn't regret displaying misogyny towards women
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Snoop Dogg on why he doesn't regret displaying misogyny towards women