Put up or shut up, Mirror boss tells hacking lawyer
Mark Lewis told to provide evidence that celebrities' voicemails were accessed illegally
James Cusick is political correspondent of The Independent and The Independent on Sunday. As an experienced member of the lobby, he has previously worked at The Sunday Times and the BBC. His career as a journalist has been split between print and television, including senior positions as producer with Sir David Frost and at BBC Newsnight. He is also an award-winning golf and travel writer, working for over a decade as the UK contributing editor for one of the USA’s leading golf magazines. He broadcasts regularly for the BBC and CNN. He lives in London.
Friday 09 November 2012
The lawyer acting for Sven-Goran Eriksson and the Beckhams' former nanny has been told by the publisher of the Daily Mirror to provide evidence proving that their phones were hacked by journalists working for the newspaper.
The former England coach and Abbie Gibson are among four public figures whose lawyer, Mark Lewis, alleged last month that their voicemails had been illegally accessed by reporters employed by newspapers owned by Trinity Mirror. The others are the former footballer Gary Flitcroft and the Coronation Street actress Shobna Gulati.
In a statement, Trinity Mirror said yesterday it had still been told nothing about the claims and had instructed lawyers to force Mr Lewis, who is representing the group of four, into providing all the details he held on the cases. Mr Lewis dismissed the threat, saying the claims had been properly issued through the Royal Courts of Justice and were "proceeding in accordance with the rules". "Ultimately the cases will be determined by the judge on the basis of the evidence, rather than Mirror group saying they have not seen the cases," he said. "It might be a better use of [Mirror Group Newspapers'] resources if they asked their employees and former employees what had happened."
A fortnight ago Mr Lewis, one of the leading lawyers who helped expose phone hacking at the News of the World, said he was preparing to file civil claims against Trinity Mirror's national newspapers.
The legal action alleging the illegal interception of phone messages is the first to go beyond titles owned by Rupert Murdoch's News International. A criminal trial centred on phone hacking at the NOTW is due to be heard next year.
Details of the action against Mr Lewis were discussed yesterday by Simon Fox, Trinity Mirror's chief executive, during calls with investors and analysts on the company's recent financial results. The hacking allegations hit Trinity Mirror's share price hard. On the day the story broke, Mirror shares fell 12 per cent.
An interim trading statement to investors, issued by Mr Fox yesterday, stated: "Following the extensive publicity given to recent claims of alleged wrongdoing by Trinity Mirror journalists, the board can confirm that no such claims have yet been served, nor have the particulars of such claims been provided."
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
- 2 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 3 US? China? India? The 10 biggest economies in 2030 will be...
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes