Rantzen faces trial for 'not giving way to pedestrians'

Former That's Life presenter Esther Rantzen is facing a trial over allegations that she failed to give way to pedestrians at a crossing.

The television star, who founded the children's charity ChildLine, was given a fixed penalty notice in June last year for not stopping at a zebra crossing in central London.

But the 64-year-old from Hampstead is said to be contesting the ticket, which would normally carry three penalty points and a £60 fine, and is set to appear at Highbury Corner magistrates' court on Tuesday.

If she is found guilty, magistrates could impose a fine of up to £1,000, together with three penalty points, and possibly disqualify her from driving.

A police spokesman has previously said: "On June 15 last year at approximately 1.30pm, a 63-year-old woman from Hampstead was issued with a fixed penalty notice for allegedly failing to give way to pedestrians on a pedestrian crossing in Upper Woburn Place, WC1."

A CPS spokesman confirmed there were no injuries caused in the alleged offence, which was "failing to accord precedence to a pedestrian on a carriageway within the limit of an uncontrolled zebra crossing".