Rebekah Brooks' bodyguard David Johnson charged over allegations of conspiring to hide computers from police
Cahal Milmo is the chief reporter of The Independent and has been with the paper since 2000. He was born in London and previously worked at the Press Association news agency. He has reported on assignment at home and abroad, including Rwanda, Sudan and Burkina Faso, the phone hacking scandal and the London Olympics. In his spare time he is a keen runner and cyclist, and keeps an allotment.
Friday 03 May 2013
A bodyguard assigned to former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks was today charged with conspiring to thwart police investigations into phone hacking and the alleged bribing of public officials by journalists.
David Johnson, 47, who was working for News International in July 2011 when allegations emerged that the News of the World had accessed the voicemails of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler, is accused of conspiring with others to hide computers and other items from detectives.
The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said it was satisfied there was enough evidence to charge Mr Johnson, from Mitcham, Surrey, with conspiracy to pervert the course of justice between 15 and 19 July 2011.
He will appear before Westminster Magistrates' Court next week for a preliminary hearing in the case. He is accused along with six others, including Mrs Brooks and her husband Charlie and NI's head of security, Mark Hanna.
In a statement, Gregor McGill, a senior CPS lawyer, said: "Following a careful review of the evidence, we have concluded that David Johnson, a security professional who was employed to provide a protection service to Rebekah Brooks, should be charged with an offence of conspiracy to pervert the course of public justice.
"It is alleged that between 15 and 19 July 2011 Mr Johnson conspired to pervert the course of justice by concealing computers and other items from the Metropolitan Police Service during its investigation into allegations of phone hacking and the corruption of public officials by journalists."
Mrs Brooks was the former editor of the News of the World and The Sun editor before she became became chief executive of NI in 2009. She stepped down July 2011 in the wake of the phone-hacking scandal.
Her former personal assistant Cheryl Carter is also facing a charge of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice in connection with the case.
Migrants in Kos: Photos show real tragedy after Brits abroad complain of 'awkward' holidays
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
Michael Gove determined to scrap the Human Rights Act – even if Scotland retains it
Thousands of teenage girls enduring debilitating illnesses after routine school cancer vaccination
Threat to scrap Human Rights Act could see UK follow Nazi example, warns UN official
Why this year's general election was the most unfair in Britain's history
- 1 Enrique Iglesias injured trying to catch a drone mid concert
- 2 Caitlyn Jenner, formerly Bruce Jenner, reveals new look on Annie Leibovitz shot Vanity Fair cover
- 4 Man on naked bike ride gets ejected after becoming aroused