Sadistic child abuse is rife across Britain, MPs warned
Serious child sex abuse is rife across Britain, with young attackers re-enacting scenes of extreme pornography they have seen on their mobile phones, MPs were told yesterday.
People were in denial over the extent of the problem even though it was happening in every "town, village or hamlet" and thousands of children had been abused, Sue Berelowitz, the Deputy Children's Commissioner, said.
"We should start from the assumption that children are being sexually exploited right the way across the country," she said. "It is very sadistic, it is very violent, it is very, very ugly."
Ms Berelowitz, who is conducting a two-year study into the issue, said she was concerned about the role that social-networking websites and new technology played in the exploitation of children and cited a series of graphic crimes where they had been used.
In her evidence to the Home Affairs Select Committee, Ms Berelowitz reported:
* One child was lured across London after being befriended online, only to be met by a group of eight boys who repeatedly raped her in a park. A second group then took her to another park where she was again repeatedly attacked. Ms Berelowitz said such events were "quite common".
* A very young girl was raped over several days by a group of teenagers who summoned their friends to join by using a mobile phone.
* A man in his 40s befriended 1,000 girls aged 12 to 14 on a social network site after masquerading as a boy.
Perez Hilton apologises for Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak
Victoria Justice on naked photo leak: 'Let me nip this in the bud right now'
4Chan 'nude photo hacker' claims there are hundreds more celebrity images to be published
Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
Ariana Grande nude photos leak: 'These are completely fake' say singer's representatives
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain
- 1 Al Pacino on suffering from depression: 'It can last and it's terrifying'
- 2 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 3 Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
- 4 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 5 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127