Sadistic child abuse is rife across Britain, MPs warned
Serious child sex abuse is rife across Britain, with young attackers re-enacting scenes of extreme pornography they have seen on their mobile phones, MPs were told yesterday.
People were in denial over the extent of the problem even though it was happening in every "town, village or hamlet" and thousands of children had been abused, Sue Berelowitz, the Deputy Children's Commissioner, said.
"We should start from the assumption that children are being sexually exploited right the way across the country," she said. "It is very sadistic, it is very violent, it is very, very ugly."
Ms Berelowitz, who is conducting a two-year study into the issue, said she was concerned about the role that social-networking websites and new technology played in the exploitation of children and cited a series of graphic crimes where they had been used.
In her evidence to the Home Affairs Select Committee, Ms Berelowitz reported:
* One child was lured across London after being befriended online, only to be met by a group of eight boys who repeatedly raped her in a park. A second group then took her to another park where she was again repeatedly attacked. Ms Berelowitz said such events were "quite common".
* A very young girl was raped over several days by a group of teenagers who summoned their friends to join by using a mobile phone.
* A man in his 40s befriended 1,000 girls aged 12 to 14 on a social network site after masquerading as a boy.
Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
Scottish independence: Police will be on high alert on Friday whatever the result
John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time
QS university world rankings: Imperial College London leapfrogs Oxford to join Cambridge as best British university
Scottish independence exclusive: Millions of banknotes sent to Scotland in case Yes vote sparks run on ATMs
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly
- 1 Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 2 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 4 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time