Second man held after knifepoint sex attack
A second man has been arrested by detectives investigating a knifepoint sex attack on a man in a quiet market town.
The 24-year-old, from Lingfield, Surrey, was held in Eastbourne yesterday on suspicion of being involved in the assault on the middle-aged man.
He was later bailed without charge until September 11, pending further inquiries by detectives, a spokesman for Sussex Police said today.
The victim, who was attacked in Wadhurst, East Sussex, in broad daylight, spoke of his ordeal earlier this month in a bid to trace his attacker.
He told of the difficulty he faced in confiding to his wife what happened after he was stopped by a motorist asking for directions in The Marlpit, at 4.45pm on Friday July 16, and then sexually assaulted.
He said he decided to go public with an appeal for witnesses after sleepless nights fearing the next victim could be a woman or a child.
The man, who is black, said that after the passenger got out of the car he made a racist comment to the driver before hitting the victim in the face, knocking him to his knees.
After the assault the victim said he believed his attacker was disturbed as the driver yelled at him before he got back into the car.
After his attacker escaped, the man took a T-shirt from his bag to staunch the blood from his cut mouth and made his way home.
Another man, a 31-year old, was arrested at his home in Lingfield earlier this month on suspicion of being involved in the assault and bailed to September 11 pending further police inquiries.
Although racist comments were made during the attack, police have said it was not at this stage being treated as racially motivated.
Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
Rob Lowe hits out at White House decision not to meet Israeli leader
Iraq invasion 2003: The bloody warnings six wise men gave to Tony Blair as he prepared to launch poorly planned campaign
Winston Churchill: From accusations of anti-Semitism to the blunt refusal that led to the deaths of millions
British Muslim leaders outraged after Eric Pickles says followers of Islam should 'prove their identity'
UK terror fears: My jihadist son returned from Syria mentally scarred – now he is being ignored
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
Billy Crystal: 'Stop shoving gay sex scenes in my face'
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
- 1 The truth about 'girl things': Three cheers for Heather Watson's honesty
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 4 Tennis fan suing Australian Open organisers for 'failing to shade spectators' during Murray match
- 5 Syrian refugee child beaten by Istanbul Burger King manager for eating customer’s leftover food