Seven alleged Jimmy Savile victims made complaints while he was alive
Friday 26 October 2012
Seven alleged victims of Jimmy Savile made complaints to four separate police forces while the disgraced television presenter was alive.
The claims were made to police in Surrey, London, Sussex and Jersey but it was decided that no further action should be taken.
Scotland Yard said yesterday that a retired officer had told them that he had investigated Savile in the 1980s while based in west London but did not have the evidence to proceed.
Commander Peter Spindler said he believed the allegation was of an indecent assault, possibly in a caravan on BBC premises in west London, but officers have still not found the original file.
Another allegation, of inappropriate touching dating back to the 1970s, was made by a woman in 2003, but this was treated as "intelligence" by police because the victim did not want to take action.
Surrey Police submitted a file to the Crown Prosecution Service containing references to four potential offences, including an allegation of indecent assault on a young girl at a children's home.
The allegations related to three potential victims in Surrey and another in Sussex, and Savile was interviewed under caution in 2009, but prosecutors decided there was insufficient evidence to bring charges.
The seventh allegation emerged in 2008 when Jersey police received a claim that an indecent assault occurred at children's home Haut de la Garenne in the 1970s.
Again it was decided that there was insufficient evidence to proceed.
Scotland Yard is leading the current investigation into accusations of abuse, which now involve around 300 potential victims.
Mr Spindler said Savile was "undoubtedly" one of the most prolific sex offenders he had come across.
He added: "Within London we have trebled the number of historic abuse allegations. I have no doubt that we're in a watershed moment for child abuse investigation, and Operation Yewtree will be a landmark investigation."
Claims have been made that former DJ Savile, who died last year aged 84, targeted children while they were in hospital.
He had a bedroom at Stoke Mandeville Hospital, an office and living quarters at Broadmoor and widespread access to Leeds General Infirmary.
Officers have also searched a cottage belonging to Savile in Scotland to look for "any evidence of any others being involved in any offending with him".
Savile is said to have entertained a number of celebrities at the cottage in Allt na Reigh in Glencoe.
A Lothian and Borders Police spokesman also said today that the force has received two complaints about Savile's behaviour - one in Edinburgh and the other in Newcastle.
He said: "Two disclosures have been made to Lothian and Borders Police, one of which was in relation to an historical incident that happened in Edinburgh, and the other to an historical incident that happened in the Newcastle area.
"Full details have been provided to the Metropolitan Police, and support is being offered to the women concerned."
- 1 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder victim of Woolwich machete attack, named as Drummer Lee Rigby
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 3 Grace Dent: I’m not sure how these people can avoid being called ‘bigots’. And the more ‘civilised’, the worse they are
- 4 Woolwich murder: They killed, then they performed - these men should be starved of our attention
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.