Teenager admits hit-and-run death
Saturday 11 September 2010
A teenager tearfully admitted causing the death of a 10-year-old boy in a hit-and-run accident when he appeared at York Crown Court yesterday
John Smith, 18, is charged over the death of Sean Hamilton, who was hit by a Ford Transit van on 3 October last year. North Yorkshire Police said the occupants of the van stopped but then abandoned the vehicle and ran off.
In court yesterday, Smith fought back tears as he pleaded guilty to causing death by careless or inconsiderate driving, failing to stop at the scene and failing to report the accident.
The Recorder of York, Judge Stephen Ashurst, said he could not promise he would not be handed a custodial sentence.
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained in Los Angeles after being mistaken for a prostitute
George Galloway on Scottish independence: The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Scottish independence: Britain faces 'constitutional crisis' at next election
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly
- 1 Amy Winehouse statue unveiled in Camden
- 2 Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
- 3 George Galloway on Scottish independence: The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
- 4 Headaches, fry ups, and hair of the dog - why do we get hangovers, and is there such thing as a 'cure'?
- 5 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims