Two men killed in Birmingham city centre stabbing
Two men were stabbed to death in a busy shopping area of Birmingham city centre just before 6pm last night.
The victims, both believed to be in their forties, were found one street away from each other. West Midlands Police said one victim was believed to have been stabbed outside a Sainsbury’s store on Martineau Place, while the second man was found slumped near Boots in Union Street.
A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokeswoman said the men had been attended to by paramedics, but both had suffered fatal stab wounds and were pronounced dead at the scene.
Inspector David Keen said: “Two men have suffered fatal injuries – these have been inflicted in the heart of the city at a busy time when workers and shoppers would be heading home.” He added: “There are potentially hundreds of witnesses, either people who saw the stabbings or the offender leaving the scene, and I’d urge people to get in touch immediately – they could have vital information.”
An area of Union Street was cordoned off last night while officers carried out forensic investigations.
A suspect was in police custody last night after being arrested in New Street shortly after the stabbings.
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
- 1 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 2 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 3 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 4 Germanwings crash: 'Andreas Lubitz planned to marry pregnant girlfriend', claims German report
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: Transcript reveals passengers 'screamed for over five minutes' before plane crashed into mountain