Victims: The brother he fell out with, the stranger on a shopping trip...

Click to follow
The Independent Online

David Bird, 52

Twin brother of the killer and his first victim – shot dead as he slept in his home in Lamplugh. Mr Bird, a mechanic, had worked for both the police and a local plant hire company. The brothers had reportedly argued over a will.

Last night Mr Bird's daughters, Rachel, 28, Tracey, 26, and Katie, 19, paid tribute to their father. "We are utterly devastated about the death of our dad. He was the nicest man you could ever meet. He was a loving husband and doting Dad and Granda.

"Our Dad's only downfall was to try and help his brother. Dad was a loving and cheerful character and was well known throughout the village. He will not only be missed by us, but by the whole community. Love you forever. Sleep well. xxx"

"We would also like to send our condolences to all the other families and people involved in this tragic incident. Our thoughts are with them also."

A note from a relative, left at Mr Bird's home read: "Uncle Birdy, as far as uncles go they don't come any better than you. I have lots of good childhood memories and I will carry on taking my ugly pills. You won't be forgotten."

Darren Rewcastle, 43

A self-employed taxi driver who knew his killer well, Darren Rewcastle lived in Bigrigg, near Egremont. Bird shot him at close range as he stood by the taxi rank in Whitehaven on Thursday morning. Mr Rewcastle's parents said: "Darren was so tragically taken from us in the Cumbria shootings. He was a beloved brother, brother-in-law, Dad and Uncle.

"He was the life and soul of a party and a Speedway and football fanatic who will be sadly missed by all who knew him. Rest In Peace, Darren. All our love Mam, Dad, and all the family. x"

Mr Rewcastle had been working extra shifts in order to get time off to watch World Cup matches.

Kevin Commons, 60

Mr Commons, the Bird family's solicitor was killed on the driveway of his home at Mowbray Farm, Frizington. He was a senior partner in KJ Commons and Co solicitors having worked his way up from legal executive.

His business partner Markus Nickson said: "Kevin cared deeply about the job he did and felt it was a privilege to be a solicitor.

"If anybody came through the door to ask for help, he'd help them, irrespective of whether they could pay. Nobody was ever turned away, and that was the principle on which he started the practice in 1986. If somebody needed help, he was your man."

Friend and local businessman Gerard Richardson said Mr Commons was "one of the hardest-working people in the area".

He added: "He's probably about the single most generous person I've ever met. Just a really, really nice character. Certainly in his adversarial role you wouldn't want to cross him but [he was] just a really, really, lovely, warm fellow."

Garry Purdham, 31

Garry Purdham, of Gosforth, was trimming hedges with his uncle shortly before midday when Bird drove past, wound down his car window and shot him. A farmer, who played semi-professional rugby league for almost a decade with Whitehaven and Workington, Mr Purdham was married with two sons aged nine and four.

David Bowden, chairman of Workington Town rugby league club said: "Everyone at the club is shocked and devastated to hear this unbelievable and tragic news. Garry Purdham was quite simply a gentleman and a real pleasure to know. As a player, he was as honest and industrious on the pitch as indeed he was off it."

Purdham's brother Rob captains Harlequins rugby league team and has been capped five times for England. Yesterday he travelled home to Cumbria to be with his family.

Kenneth Fishburn, 70s

Kenneth Fishburn, a retired security guard at Sellafield nuclear power station, was shot dead on a bridge in Egremont. He had moved to the area from the North East and previously been in the army. Friends said he enjoyed a flutter at the bookies. Tracy Maudling, a 39-year-old housewife, said: "He'd seen the world before settling here. Kenneth was a really friendly man. He would never have harmed anyone, he was such a good man.

"We would have little chats when I was putting the washing out or doing the garden. He was very clean and kept his house and garden immaculate.

"He didn't like to sit in the house much, he was always out and about talking to people in the street. He would walk up and down the street at least twice a day."

On the bridge where he was killed, flowers were left with cards attached. One read: "RIP Ken – tragically taken but not forgotten". The card was signed "your girls and Marc – Ladbrokes".

James Clark, 23

James Clark had recently moved to Carlisle from Buckinghamshire to be with his fiancée, Lianne Jarman, who is studying at university. Mr Clark, who worked as a letting agent for Belvoir in Cockermouth, was killed while driving back from a viewing near Seascale.

Last night Lianne, 21, said: "He was not just my fiancé, but my closest friend. He is my life, my world, my everything. Taken too soon, he gave so many people love and joy. He touched so many lives, but he did not realise how cherished he was. We are all truly devastated."

Loving tributes were also paid to Mr Clark, formerly of Northall, Buckinghamshire, by his parents Richard and Jane Clark. They said: "Our darling son Jamie has been taken from us. Our lives will never be the same again. He was the most wonderful gentle, loving, considerate man."

Isaac Dixon, 65

The part-time mole-catcher and divorced father-of-two lived alone in a flat in Beckgreen, Egremont. Known as "Spike", he had two sons, Martyn and Wayne, and a girlfriend, Pat. He was killed by Bird while in conversation with a farmer at the edge of a field.

Mr Dixon was an active member of the local Conservative Club and was described by friends as a "gentleman". Neighbour Joan Ferguson, 64, said: "He did a lot for everybody, if anybody wanted him."

His sister, Margaret Earl, 72, of Smithfield, Egremont, said: "He loved the outdoors and was very active. He used to go for long walks and I believe he was coming back from trapping moles when he was killed.

"He used to go cycling and would sometimes take the dog of a woman he knew for a walk. He used to go hunting when he was younger.

"He was a friendly man who would do errands for other people. I last saw him yesterday when I was waiting for a bus. He had nipped out to buy some milk for one of his neighbours."

Michael Pike, 64

A retired trade union organiser at Sellafield nuclear power plant, Mr Pike was originally from Liverpool. After working as a shipbuilder in his hometown, he joined Sellafield as a fitter but later became an expert in nuclear decontamination. He had two children.

He was killed while out on a bike ride on Drigg Road in the village of Seascale. He lived with his wife Sheena and son Jason, 39 and had started walking and cycling regularly to keep fit after he had been injured.

His son, Jason Pike said: "We understand that he was shot dead while out cycling which he did most mornings to keep fit. He was a much-loved husband, father and grandfather. He was a happy man at the time he died and satisfied with the things he achieved."

Jason added: "Michael James Pike or Mike, as he was known, was a loving husband, father and grandfather who did everything he could for his family and was glad to do it. He was a brave and generous person who made more than he expected of his life and did a great deal of good not only for his family but for other people too. We are very proud of him."

Jane Robinson, 66

An unmarried woman, Robinson was gunned down in Drigg Road, Seascale after being beckoned over to Bird's car while delivering Betterware catalogues just yards from the home she shared with her twin sister Barrie.

The sisters, neither of whom have ever married, were nicknamed the "pigeon women" by locals after they campaigned to save hundreds of pigeons that had been earmarked for culling amid fears that they had been contaminated by radiation from Sellafield. They also ran a bird sanctuary together.

Friend William Hogg, 51, said: "She was just a very nice lady. Her and her sister were animal lovers. It's a massive loss for Barrie. They were so close."

One local described Jane and her sister as "lovely ladies", adding: "Jane's sister will be devastated, heartbroken. You could not find two more gentle people than those two sisters."

James and Jennifer Jackson, 71 & 66

James and Jennifer Jackson, a couple in their sixties, lived in Wilton, near Egremont. Jennifer was secretary of the parochial church council of St Mary & St Michael's Church in Egremont and helped with the flower arranging for church services. "Jimmy" used to work for the ambulance service.

Mrs Jackson was shot in the street in Wilton and her husband was killed when he came looking for her. One local resident said Bird had driven up to Mrs Jackson, honked his horn, then turned round and shot her. According to some reports, her husband may have worked with Bird at the Sellafield nuclear plant. Bird had been sacked from Sellafield for stealing.

A neighbour who did not wish to be named said: "Jennifer was a very quiet woman – she was a really lovely lady. She helped with the church a lot and they were both lovely people. A lovely couple. I can't imagine what he went through. We're going to buy flowers for them this morning. It's absolutely devastating."

Susan Hughes, 57

Described as a private, quiet woman, Ms Hughes was killed while carrying her groceries home. She was found still clutching her shopping bags.Neighbours painted a picture of a loving mother-of-two, who spent much of her time looking after her wheelchair-bound daughter.

Until recently, her daughter had lived with Ms Hughes at her semi-detached, council home in Park View, Egremont but had moved into a specially equipped bungalow nearby in the town.

In a statement, Ms Hughes' family said: "Susan was a proud and determined mother of two daughters. She is completely irreplaceable to her family and friends."

Alan Roberts, her next-door neighbour in Park View, said: "She visited her daughter daily, who was disabled. I would often chat to her over the fence in the garden, or if I passed her in the street. She was a quiet lady but was always very friendly."

Mother and son Pauline and Andrew Tyson, who also lived next door to Ms Hughes in Park View, said they were "numb with shock". Ms Tyson wept and was unable to speak as she tried to talk about her neighbour.

Mr Tyson said: "She was a lovely woman, very friendly, pleasant and quiet. She had obviously been dealt a bad hand in life, she had a severely handicapped daughter."

He added: "The street is very subdued, and numb with shock."