Weather ruins police surveillance balloon
Friday 12 November 2010
The rain in Manchester has brought a premature end to many a cricket match over the years, but now it has claimed a new victim: an £80,000 police surveillance balloon.
Greater Manchester Police had lauded the unmanned blimp as a "brand-new airborne crime-fighting tool", with a camera that could swivel 360 degrees and film targets up to a mile away. It had been expected to save money through reduced fuel bills, and five staff were specially trained to monitor its footage.
But after being used just 18 times since it first took to the air to help monitor crowds at an Oasis concert last year, the balloon has now been scrapped at a cost of £20,000 because the city's infamously inclement weather caused its outer skin to tear continuously.
Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
YouTube video posted by Isis militants shows 'execution of 250 Syrian soldiers'
Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
Terror threat level raised to severe as PM warns Isis risk could last for decades
Isis 'A Message in Blood' video shows beheading of Kurdish man in Iraq
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Terror threat level raised to severe as PM warns Isis risk could last for decades
- < Previous
- Next >