Woman arrested after clip of 'racist rant' goes viral
Police investigating a video that shows a woman shouting racist abuse and remonstrating with other passengers on a tram in south London have made an arrest.
British Transport Police were forwarded the video, which was taken on a route in Croydon, after it was uploaded to YouTube. They also received several calls from members of the public voicing their disgust.
A spokesman said: "A 34-year-old woman from New Addington was arrested on Monday, 28 November on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence. This relates to a video which appeared on YouTube and was brought to police attention earlier today."
The footage titled "My Tram Experience", was shot by another passenger. It shows a woman with a young child on her lap telling another passenger: "you ain't British, you're black" and to "go back to where you came from".
Have shock jocks gone too far after Rush Limbaugh called Sandra Fluke a slut?
Former Google exec says he has 100,000 emails showing how 'immoral' company avoids paying UK tax
British business: We need to stay in the European Union - or risk losing up to £92bn a year
World news in pictures
British father faces charges after confessing to slitting his two children's throats in Lyon flat
- 1 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 2 British business: We need to stay in the European Union - or risk losing up to £92bn a year
- 3 The moral case on tax avoidance is overwhelming - and we all know Google wants to do the right thing
- 4 Sam Wallace: The second coming of Jose Mourinho at Chelsea will be a reunion that can only end in tears
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Negotiable: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Randstad Education is the market le...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Randstad Education London: A leading Further Educat...
£500 - £680 per day: Orgtel: Quantitative Risk Analyst, Front Office/Risk Bank...
£18000 - £25500 per annum: Randstad Education Cambridge: Randstad Education ar...