Woman dies following mugging
Saturday 26 November 2011
A widow has died after muggers stole her handbag which contained her husband's ashes.
Nellie Geraghty, 79, was left critically ill after she suffered serious head injuries as she desperately tried to cling on to the bag during the incident in Oldham, Greater Manchester.
Police said she died in Royal Oldham Hospital Hospital at about midnight yesterday.
Two youths have now been arrested on suspicion of robbery.
Mrs Geraghty was found collapsed in an alleyway near her home in Shaw just before noon on Thursday.
Inside her handbag was a blue velvet bag containing the ashes of her husband - who died 17 years ago - in a small box, and also £200 in cash.
The handbag was missing at the scene but the strap was still in the pensioner's hand.
A Greater Manchester Police spokesman said: "The elderly woman who was found unconscious in Shaw has now died.
"Two boys, aged 14 and 17, have been arrested on suspicion of robbery and remain in police custody."
Anyone with information about the incident near to the junction of Kershaw Street and Victoria Street should call police on 0161 856 8951 or the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Terror threat level raised to severe as PM warns Isis risk could last for decades
- < Previous
- Next >