Woman in custody over 'racist rant'
Tuesday 06 December 2011
A woman was remanded in custody today after appearing in court over an alleged racist rant on a tram that was captured on video.
Emma West appeared at Croydon Magistrates' Court in south London charged with a racially aggravated public order offence.
A video allegedly showing the 34-year-old, of New Addington, racially abusing fellow passengers on board the busy tram has been viewed more than 11 million times since appearing online on Sunday November 27.
She was arrested last Monday after the footage was posted on YouTube.
A bail application was made by West's solicitor David Ewings, but it was denied by the magistrate Ian McNeal to protect her safety.
She was remanded in custody to appear by videolink for a committal hearing at Croydon Magistrates' Court on January 3.
Earlier, an administrative error led to the defendant entering a not guilty plea, but the court file was later amended to show she has not yet pleaded.
Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death
4Chan naked photos leak: Celebrity Twitter reactions to the mass breach of privacy
Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Matthew Miller: American sentenced to hard labour in North Korea 'wanted to be Snowden II'
- 5 Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death