Woman wins £1m over food poisoning
Thursday 10 November 2005
Margaret-Ann Reynard's career as a midwife was ruined, the Court of Session in Edinburgh heard. She sued Exquisite Quisine after eating at one of its restaurants, Latours, in East Kilbride in October 2000. The company admitted liability for the salmonella.
Mrs Reynard, 39, from East Kilbride, suffered from a bout of severe diarrhoea which lasted for 17 days. After developing reactive arthritis she was unable to return to her job as a staff midwife with Ayrshire and Arran health authority and was retired on ill-health grounds last year.
She told the court: "I was hopeful that I would get better and work until I retired. It was my dream."
Mrs Reynard, who has to walk with the aid of a stick, said that, as well as not being able to work, she would have to sell her first-floor flat to buy a specially modified bungalow.
Lord Hodge awarded Mrs Reynard £1, 243, 082 in damages, which included £627, 730 for the loss of her earnings until her retirement and the loss of her pension rights, and £397,304 for the cost of past and future care.
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Elif Shafak: Turkish author warns against rise of British nationalism
Most people think legal tax avoidance is just as wrong as illegal tax evasion, poll suggests
Nigel Farage promises Ukip will not 'stigmatise' would-be migrants – and says he wants 'everyone to speak the same language'
- 1 Tourist films plane's descent just metres above packed Caribbean beach
- 2 Kate Moss: Previously unpublished nude photo revealed by Mert and Marcus
- 3 Indian woman creates 'Marriage CV' after parents put her on dating site: 'Definitely not marriage material. Won’t grow long hair, ever'
- 4 World Book Day: Boy 'excluded' from school after dressing up as Fifty Shades' Christian Grey
- 5 Bad Jews poster 'censored' on London Tube