DAILY POEM: Bluebottle Bella (for Isobel Neil)
Tuesday 10 January 1995
W N Herbert is the fifth of ten poets shortlisted for the T S Eliot Prize for best new collection of poetry. Born in Dundee in 1961, a highly versatile poet, he writes in English and Scots, and is concerned with the problems of a submerged Scottish culture and language. This year's judges are Ciaran Carson, Candia McWilliam, John Fuller and Robert Crawford, chaired by Elaine Feinstein. All 10 poets will be featured in the Daily Poem until the announcement of the winner on 17 January. This poem is from his collection Forked Tongue (Bloodaxe, £7.95).
- 1 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 2 Watch: Man takes selfie every mile of 2,600 mile hike, creates amazing timelapse video
- 3 The day I starred in Only Fools and Horses
- 4 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
- 5 Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts the calories
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
Germanwings plane crash: Co-pilot Andreas Lubitz wanted to 'do something people would remember him for'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
£6 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity to join a gro...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Service Delivery Manager is required to join...
£12000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A opportunity has arisen for a ...
£32000 - £38000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A successful accountancy practice in...