Dentists reminded to sterilise all equipment against HIV
Saturday 31 July 1993
ALL DENTISTS are to be reminded by the Department of Health that they must sterilise equipment thoroughly between patients to prevent the spread of HIV or other infections, writes Judy Jones.
The move comes in the wake of evidence that most fail to sterilise adequately. A survey of 69 dentists, details of which were broadcast by the BBC's Panorama this month, found only 17 per cent sterilised equipment to standards recommended by the British Dental Association.
The programme highlighted the case of the Florida dentist who is said to have infected six of his patients with HIV the only known case anywhere in the world of a health care worker pasing on the Aids virus to a patient.
In a letter released yesterday, Virginia Bottomley, Secretary of State for Health, said officials were writing to all 18,000 dentists underlining the importance of existing guidance that they should steam-sterilise all dental hand-pieces between each patient.
- 1 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 4 Homer Simpson takes the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he does
- 5 Hello Kitty is not a cat after all
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >
Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: CITY - An excellent new instruction w...
£500 per day: Harrington Starr: SQL Server Developer SQL, PHP, C#, Real Time,...
£600 per day: Harrington Starr: C#.NET Developer C#, Win Forms, WPF, WCF, MVVM...