Half of all nurseries 'offer poor care'
Monday 01 August 1994
Staff at some were negligent and uncaring, ignoring very young children or handling them carelessly, the survey, carried out for BBC1's Panorama, found.
A quarter of staff in the nurseries studied were untrained.
The most profitable nurseries generally provided lower standards of care, according to the programme, to be broadcast tonight.
The survey studied 10 nurseries, drawn from a larger study in 1990. Four were assessed as providing poor care, one was mediocre and five were judged to be of good quality.
Sandra Keevil, of the Under-eights Advisers Association, told the programme: 'There are day-care facilities where children shouldn't be. There are childminders whose standards are very poor indeed, and children should not be placed with them. Potentially, there are thousands of children who are not receiving the kind of quality day care that they should be.'
Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...