Welcome to the new Independent website. We hope you enjoy it and we value your feedback. Please contact us here.

Baby died of 'accidental overdose'

An inquest into the death of a baby who died after NHS doctors prescribed too high a dose of drugs has recorded a verdict of accidental overdose.

Anna Holzscheiter said her seven-and-a-half month old baby died at Homerton University Hospital in Hackney, east London, "because of a whole series of miscommunication, and miscalculation of drugs between the doctors involved".

According to a police report, the baby, named Lucas, was given between nine and 12 times the recommended dose of a toxic drug for a child of his age and weight. Dr John Coakley, medical director of Homerton hospital, which admitted Lucas last May, apologised in person for the "catastrophic error".