Baby 'dies of salt overdose'

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A baby boy has died in hospital from a suspected salt overdose, it was revealed today.



The infant was born prematurely and had recently been placed on a saline drip but it apparently left him dehydrated.



He died on July 7, three days after the problem was spotted by staff at the Queen's Medical Centre in Nottingham.



A coroner's investigation will now be held and there will be an inquest, Nottinghamshire Police said.



But detectives will not be carrying out their own inquiry into the death of the baby, who was born in March.



Dr Stephen Fowlie, of Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust, said: "We offer our deepest condolences to the family.



"We are supporting the family in this difficult time and keeping them fully informed of our investigations into the loss of their baby.



"We apologise for any shortcomings in our care of their child."



A police spokesman said: "There's no police involvement. There's no cause of death yet. An inquest will be held."

Comments