Bodies found in house blaze
Two people who died in a house fire did not have working smoke alarms, the fire service said today.
The bodies of the man and the woman were recovered from the house in Richardson Street in Ashington, Northumberland, early today.
Fire crews found the bodies in the living room after tackling the blaze, which had broken out in the kitchen.
Group manager Ian Pringle, from Northumberland Fire Service, said: "The property was fitted with smoke alarms, however one did not have a battery and the other was not working.
"We would urge members of the public to firstly fit smoke alarms and second make sure they are working, tested and batteries are replaced when required.
"An investigation is being carried out jointly by the fire service and the police."
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Picture of couple posing with beached dolphin 'that later died' causes outrage
- 4 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
- 5 Arsenal fan asks the Queen for tickets to the FA Cup final - gets a reply from Buckingham Palace
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...