Bodies found in house blaze

Two people who died in a house fire did not have working smoke alarms, the fire service said today.

The bodies of the man and the woman were recovered from the house in Richardson Street in Ashington, Northumberland, early today.



Fire crews found the bodies in the living room after tackling the blaze, which had broken out in the kitchen.



Group manager Ian Pringle, from Northumberland Fire Service, said: "The property was fitted with smoke alarms, however one did not have a battery and the other was not working.



"We would urge members of the public to firstly fit smoke alarms and second make sure they are working, tested and batteries are replaced when required.



"An investigation is being carried out jointly by the fire service and the police."



Comments