Bonfire society chief hurt by rocket

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A member of one of Britain's oldest bonfire societies remained in a critical condition in hospital last night after being struck in the chest by a rocket at a celebration in Lewes, east Sussex.

The 21-year-old from the Commercial Square Bonfire Society, which was founded in 1886, was hit by a stray firework. He had helped to organise the event. He had emergency surgery and treatment for serious burns at Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton.

About 40,000 people packed into Lewes's narrow streets to watch the display. Residents burnt an effigy of David Cameron and Nick Clegg.