Bonfire society chief hurt by rocket
Monday 08 November 2010
A member of one of Britain's oldest bonfire societies remained in a critical condition in hospital last night after being struck in the chest by a rocket at a celebration in Lewes, east Sussex.
The 21-year-old from the Commercial Square Bonfire Society, which was founded in 1886, was hit by a stray firework. He had helped to organise the event. He had emergency surgery and treatment for serious burns at Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton.
About 40,000 people packed into Lewes's narrow streets to watch the display. Residents burnt an effigy of David Cameron and Nick Clegg.
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
£7 - £10 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This care provider is looking for Home ...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's leading web des...
£27000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A growing, successful, friendly...
£16000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This family owned, independent ...