British soldier killed in Afghanistan
A soldier from 3rd Battalion The Rifles has been killed while on patrol in Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defence said today.
The serviceman was on patrol in the Nad-e-Ali district of Helmand Province when he was killed by "enemy action".
Task Force Helmand spokesman Major Ian Lawrence said: "It is with great sadness I must inform you that a soldier from 3rd Battalion The Rifles has died as a result of injuries sustained whilst on patrol in the Nad-e Ali district of Helmand Province.
"The thoughts and prayers of all in the Task Force are with his family and friends at this tragic time."
The soldier's family have been informed and have asked for a 24- hour period of grace before further details are released.
Earlier, the International Security Assistance Force (Isaf) said three US soldiers were killed in an incident in south-west Afghanistan by "an individual wearing Afghan uniform".
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Charles Saatchi accepts police caution for assault after trying to dismiss Nigella Lawson row as 'playful tiff'
Google, BT and Yahoo! agree plan to tackle child porn
Exposed: Edward Erin, the doctor whose faked asthma drug test results proved fatal
Charles Saatchi: Taking caution for holding Nigella Lawson's throat was 'better than it hanging over all of us'
- 1 Freedom fighters? Cannibals? The truth about Syria’s rebels
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 4 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable: Progressive Recruitment: Dear Sumadhab, A growing engineering comp...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Ilford: We are currently recruiting for a Year ...