Dog dies after coming into contact with e-cigarette fluid

14-week-old Ivy died within hours

A Staffordshire Bull Terrier is thought to have become the first pet dog to die in the UK after coming into contact with e-cigarette re-fill fluid.

Ivy died on Monday, hours after she bit through a bottle of liquid nicotine intended for her owner Keith Sutton’s e-cigarette.

Mr Sutton, a 56-year-old coach driver from Redruth, Cornwall, had swapped conventional cigarettes for the electronic variety, and had left the bottle on his dining room table.

The nicotine-laced fluid is used to re-fill e-cigarettes, which converts the liquid into vapour that users smoke.

After the 14-week-old puppy bit into the container and the liquid touched the roof of her mouth, she began frothing at the mouth and vomiting.

He said of the incident: “I peered around the wall and the dog had the juice and it managed to pierce it and got a smear on its tooth," he told The Independent.

"I grabbed the dog and filled sink up with cold water and put her paws in to bring her heart rate down. Within seconds her tongue was black," he explained.

"She messed herself and started vomiting to eject the toxin," the grandfather said.

Mr Sutton rushed Ivy to the Animal Veterinary Services in Hayle, Cornwall.

"15 minutes later she was on the vet's table but she couldn’t stand up and she was completely disorientated. Her eyes were almost bulging out of her head, but I don't think she was in pain because nicotine attack central nervous system," he added.

Ivy the Staffordshire bull terrier who died after she ingested e-cigarette refill fluid Ivy the Staffordshire bull terrier who died after she ingested e-cigarette refill fluid
After the vets could not find anything on veterinary websites about nicotine poisoning, they searched in an old book about poisons but to no avail.

"The look on the vet's face was one of horror, he shot a glance as if to say 'this is hopeless'," Mr Sutton said.

She was given a dose of steroids, but despite the vet's efforts she died the next day from heart and lung failure caused by nicotine poisoning.

The e-liquid contained chemicals such as propylene glycol and polyethylene glycol 400 which are mixed with vegetable glycerin and flavourings and nicotine.

It would take a large dose of nicotine to harm a human, but experts say a dog would only have to ingest 10 milligrams per kilogram of animal weight to be in danger.

While there are warnings on e-liquid bottles, Mr Sutton is calling for the fuel to come with warnings and stronger packaging to protect animals and small children who he fears could also be harmed if they ingest the fuel.

Within minutes of ingesting the fluid, Ivy's tongue had turned black Within minutes of ingesting the fluid, Ivy's tongue had turned black
A spokesperson from the vets told the Western Daily Press: “The dog started to get a reaction after 30 seconds of piercing the bottle.

“We managed to keep her going for a few hours, but she died in the early hours of Monday morning.

“The fluid is potentially fatal for dogs and they are perfectly capable of putting a tooth through the packaging.”

Mr Sutton uses an eKarma Vaporiser fuelled by k-Liquid with a Falcon electronic cigarette, produced UK-based Prestige Vaping.

Neither company has responded to a request for comment.

Start your day with The Independent, sign up for daily news emails
PROMOTED VIDEO
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
ebooks
ebooksA year of political gossip, levity and intrigue from the sharpest pen in Westminster
News
i100
News
One father who couldn't get One Direction tickets for his daughters phoned in a fake bomb threat and served eight months in a federal prison
people... (and one very unlucky giraffe)
Arts and Entertainment
Sink the Pink's 2013 New Year's Eve party
musicFour of Britain's top DJs give their verdict on how to party into 2015
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating
and  

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

iJobs Job Widget
iJobs General

Selby Jennings: VP/SVP Credit Quant- NY- Investment Bank

Not specified: Selby Jennings: VP/SVP Credit Quant Top tier investment bank i...

Ashdown Group: Senior Marketing Executive- City of London, Old Street

£40000 - £43000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Senior Marketing Executiv...

Ashdown Group: Marketing Manager

£40000 - £43000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: An international organisa...

Ashdown Group: Internal Recruiter -Rugby, Warwickshire

£25000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Internal Recruiter -Rugby, Warwicksh...

Day In a Page

Aren’t you glad you didn’t say that? The worst wince-and-look-away quotes of the year

Aren’t you glad you didn’t say that?

The worst wince-and-look-away quotes of the year
Hollande's vanity project is on a high-speed track to the middle of nowhere

Vanity project on a high-speed track to nowhere

France’s TGV network has become mired in controversy
Sports Quiz of the Year

Sports Quiz of the Year

So, how closely were you paying attention during 2014?
Alexander Armstrong on insulting Mary Berry, his love of 'Bargain Hunt', and life as a llama farmer

Alexander Armstrong on insulting Mary Berry and his love of 'Bargain Hunt'

From Armstrong and Miller to Pointless
Sanchez helps Gunners hold on after Giroud's moment of madness

Sanchez helps Gunners hold on

Olivier Giroud's moment of madness nearly costs them
A Christmas without hope: Fears grow in Gaza that the conflict with Israel will soon reignite

Christmas without hope

Gaza fears grow that conflict with Israel will soon reignite
After 150 years, you can finally visit the grisliest museum in the country

The 'Black Museum'

After 150 years, you can finally visit Britain's grisliest museum
No ho-ho-hos with Nick Frost's badass Santa

No ho-ho-hos with Nick Frost's badass Santa

Doctor Who Christmas Special TV review
Chilly Christmas: Swimmers take festive dip for charity

Chilly Christmas

Swimmers dive into freezing British waters for charity
Veterans' hostel 'overwhelmed by kindness' for festive dinner

Homeless Veterans appeal

In 2010, Sgt Gary Jamieson stepped on an IED in Afghanistan and lost his legs and an arm. He reveals what, and who, helped him to make a remarkable recovery
Isis in Iraq: Yazidi girls killing themselves to escape rape and imprisonment by militants

'Jilan killed herself in the bathroom. She cut her wrists and hanged herself'

Yazidi girls killing themselves to escape rape and imprisonment
Ed Balls interview: 'If I think about the deficit when I'm playing the piano, it all goes wrong'

Ed Balls interview

'If I think about the deficit when I'm playing the piano, it all goes wrong'
He's behind you, dude!

US stars in UK panto

From David Hasselhoff to Jerry Hall
Grace Dent's Christmas Quiz: What are you – a festive curmudgeon or top of the tree?

Grace Dent's Christmas Quiz

What are you – a festive curmudgeon or top of the tree?
Nasa planning to build cloud cities in airships above Venus

Nasa planning to build cloud cities in airships above Venus

Planet’s surface is inhospitable to humans but 30 miles above it is almost perfect