Forced marriage GP starts on road to recovery
Sunday 21 December 2008
The smiling face of Dr Humayra Abedin at the High Court last Friday masked months of abuse suffered at the hands of her parents and a so-called psychiatric hospital in Dhaka.
"I'm very happy to be back and I'd like to get my life back and start my job," Dr Abedin said, minutes after the High Court judge issued orders protecting her from her family. Her case was first revealed in The Independent on Sunday a fortnight ago, since when there has been a significant increase in the number of calls to the Forced Marriage Unit.
Dr Abedin said that she will soon meet the medical deanery to discuss when she can start the final year of her GP training. But it is too early to know whether she will suffer any long-term psychological effects as a result of her captivity.
- 1 If I were Prime Minister: I'd give tax cuts to the rich, keep Trident, and get my football team wrong
- 2 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to join show
- 3 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 4 University student in court for allegedly covering housemates' food in window cleaner and spit
- 5 Garland shooting: Isis claims attack on Prophet Mohamed cartoon contest in Texas as its first action on US soil
In defence of liberal democracy
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
Andy McSmith's Sketch: Feisty audience is the real star of an enlightening show
£13676.46 - £16411.61 per annum + OTE: SThree: SThree Trainee Recruitment Cons...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + training: Ashdown Group: Business and Marketing Gr...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + Commission: SThree: Are you great at building rela...
£20000 - £22000 per annum + excellent benefits: Ashdown Group: Application Sup...