Fuel prices to be cut in rural areas if Europe gives go-ahead
The 'island fuel rebate' which saves drivers 5p a litre off Scottish coast and on Scilly Isles could be rolled out across UK
The Government has proposed a cut in fuel duty for those living in remote and rural areas.
Under current rules, islanders off the coast of Scotland and at Scilly get a 5p discount to compensate for the fact that the cost of transporting fuel there means prices are much higher.
Chief Secretary to the Treasury Danny Alexander said he wanted to roll out this “island fuel rebate” to other remote parts of the UK, but warned that he would first need to get permission from the European Commission.
He has called for fuel retailers in areas such as Devon, Aberdeenshire, Northumberland and Powys to send in details of how much they charge for petrol, and warned that prices must be consistently high across a region before permission to cut duty would be granted.
Mr Alexander said: “The island fuel rebate provides much needed help to keep down fuel prices in areas where costs of transporting fuel mean prices are much higher. I know that there are other remote rural areas of the UK with similarly high fuel costs.
”So we are today starting to gather further evidence that will form part of an application to the Commission to extend the island fuel duty discount scheme to very remote rural areas.
“As a Highlander, I know that for people who live in rural areas driving is not a choice, but a necessity. So while it won't be easy to get this agreed with the Commission, I want to do everything I can to make this happen.”
Campaign group FairFuelUK said the consultation was a good thing but called for it to be rolled out for the whole of Britain.
Quentin Willson, FairFuelUK spokesman said: “I welcome the Treasury's acknowledgement that the UK needs a duty cut, but we need it across the country, not just for remote communities. Everybody is hurting not just the few.”
Nearly 1,500 retailers in 35 counties and districts in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are being consulted.
Areas where fuel prices could be cut:
- England - Cumbria, Devon, Herefordshire, North Yorkshire, Northumberland.
- Wales - Gwynedd, Isle of Anglesey, Monmouthshire, Powys.
- Scotland - Aberdeenshire, Angus, Argyll and Bute, Dumfries and Galloway, Highland, Moray, Perth and Kinross, Scottish Borders, South Ayrshire.
- Northern Ireland - Antrim, Armagh, Ballymena, Ballymoney, Banbridge, Coleraine, Cookston, Down, Dungannon, Fermanagh, Larne, Limavady, Magherafelt, Moyle, Newry and Mourne, Omagh, Strabane.
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Weather bomb in pictures: Storms cuts power for tens of thousands – and snow is on the way
Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
Russell Brand was rendered speechless on Question Time by this man
Fury at Airbus after it hints the super-jumbo may be mothballed
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Shock poll shows voters believe Ukip is to the left of the Tories
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits 'record low' as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Ukip candidate jokes about 'shooting peasants' in racist and homophobic rant
Pakistan school attack live: Taliban kill at least 132 children in 'horrifying' massacre
Germany sees 'visible rise' in support for far-right extremism in response to perceived 'Islamisation' of the West
£7 - £8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: An opportunity has arisen for two indivi...
£20000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A highly reputable business is looking to rec...
£28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company is a major supplier of buil...
£28000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...