Girl, 2, killed in Conisbrough house fire
Friday 18 October 2013
A two-year-old girl has died following a house fire in South Yorkshire, police have said.
A neighbour alerted the emergency services to the blaze in Don Street, Conisbrough, near Doncaster, shortly before 8pm last night.
The toddler was rescued by firefighters from a bedroom window but died later in hospital.
A spokesman for South Yorkshire Police said: "A two-year-old girl was taken to hospital where sadly she died from her injuries.
"Police believe that no one else was injured during the incident and inquiries are ongoing to establish the exact circumstances around the fire."
A statement from South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said two crews battled the fire.
"A team of firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property and located the fire in an upstairs bedroom," it said.
"A young child was rescued from the bedroom but sadly died."
An investigation into the cause of the fire will begin today, it added.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >
£80000 - £100000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior C++ De...
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Server Dev...
£300 - £350 per day: Harrington Starr: Leading Electronic Trading Software Ven...
£23999 - £32001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: An independent ac...