Hot-air balloon crashes into houses
Tuesday 16 August 2011
A father and his stepson were lucky to escape after their hot-air balloon smashed into houses in Bristol.
The balloon, one of 150 taking part in Bristol's International Fiesta, crashed into the chimneys of houses in the Victoria Park area, before tearing 30 tiles off the roof of a house in Alsop Street, early on Friday morning. The pilot, Martin Read, had lost height whilst changing the gas cylinders that power the balloon's burner.
"I saw it hitting the telephone lines and then the roof. I thought it was going to come through the bedroom window," said Bernadine Nolan, whose house bore the brunt of the damage before Mr Read, who was flying the balloon with his stepson Terry Wetters, regained control and landed it at Goose Green, five miles away.
The Civil Aviation Authority is investigating the incident.
- 1 Gun instructor accidentally shot dead by nine-year-old girl with Uzi gun
- 2 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 3 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 4 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 5 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Jeremy Clarkson is a cultural tumour and needs to be removed, says comedian Frankie Boyle
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
- < Previous
- Next >
£40000 - £48000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: C# Devel...
£45000 - £60000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: C# Swift...
£55000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Front-End Deve...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Graduate C# De...