'Like a scene from James Bond': Pensioner steers bus as driver passes out in Leicester
Saturday 24 November 2012
A “brave” pensioner has been praised by police after he grabbed the wheel of a bus after its driver passed out.
Alfred Throop, 67, was on a bus in Hastings Road, in the Northfields area of Leicester, on Thursday when the incident happened.
Realising the driver was unconscious, he grabbed the wheel and steered it to the side of the road.
Leicestershire Police confirmed a driver was "taken ill at the wheel" and that they believed Mr Throop gained control of the bus.
A spokeswoman said: "Mr Throop's brave actions prevented the bus from causing further damage and serious injury to members of the public."
Mr Throop, from Leicester, told the Leicester Mercury: "I can't really remember what I was thinking - I just thought I'd better get the bus out of the road quickly, so I grabbed the wheel and steered it to the kerb away from the people."
"It felt like a scene from James Bond."
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
£30000 - £50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst - C++, Boost...
£30000 - £50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst (Machine Lea...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: SQL Developer (TSQL, S...