Minute's silence at site of London attack as well-wishers raise £700,000 for terror victims

British Red Cross’s Saturday Night for London drew market traders, police, staff and members of public

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A minute’s silence at the scene of the London Bridge terror attack has raised more than £700,000.

Market traders, staff, police and members of the public gathered in Borough Market where eight people were killed and 48 injured last week by three radical extremists.

The British Red Cross’s Saturday Night for London, supported by Borough Market, raised hundreds of thousands of pounds for those who were affected by the attack and their families.

The minute’s silence was followed by spontaneous applause, and people laid flowers, candles and tributes for the victims.

Donald Hyslop, chair of trustees at Borough Market, said it was important for the “strong community” to come together after the attack.

“It is a very close-knit community and in a way people can draw strength and resolve from this to move forward, and I hope you see that and you will see that when we re-open and as we move forward,” he said.

He said the market should open again this week.

London Bridge: One week after the terror attack

London Mayor Sadiq Khan said he admired how the people in London “pull together in the face of adversity”.

“London is open. Our resilience, unity and defiance of those evil individuals who seek to harm us and destroy our way of life will never change.“

In another tribute to victims, people of Christian, Muslim and other faiths took part in a “sunset walk” from St Paul’s Cathedral to East London Mosque.

Muslim Aid chief executive Jehangir Malik said people must not let others cause division.

“But standing here today with all of those around us demonstrates one week on that that's not going to happen.”

Three men – Khuram Butt, Rachid Redouane and Youssef Zaghba – ploughed a rental van into pedestrians before exiting the vehicle, wearing fake gas canisters and carrying 12-inch blades, randomly stabbing people in bars and restaurants.

Police said the death toll could have been higher if Butt had managed to rent the larger 7.5 tonne lorry, but his payment details failed to go through.

The three men were shot dead by police within eight minutes of the call to emergency services just after 10pm on 3 June.

Southwark Council said this weekend that the last cordon had been lifted and police have now left the crime scene.

Agencies contributed to this report.

Comments