Man and boy killed following chip pan fire

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A man and a young boy have died after a house fire caused by a chip pan left unattended on a cooker, emergency services said today.

West Midlands Ambulance Service said both victims were confirmed dead shortly after their arrival at hospital following the blaze in the Lower Stoke area of Coventry last night.

An ambulance service spokesman said three ambulances and a paramedic officer were sent to the property in Hollis Road after several 999 calls at about 11.50pm yesterday.

The spokesman said: "On arrival, firefighters were bringing the two patients out of the smoke-filled house.

"As further crews were only seconds away, the first (crew to arrive) decided to leave the scene immediately with the child to take him to University Hospital in Coventry.

"While the crew worked on the child, a firefighter drove the ambulance."

Both victims were in cardiac arrest when they were rescued from the two-storey terrace house and fire crews also attempted to resuscitate the adult victim.

The ambulance service spokesman said the second crew to arrive immediately took over efforts to revive the man before taking him to the same hospital.

"Sadly, despite the best efforts of fire, ambulance and hospital staff, it was not possible to save either the man or the boy and they were both confirmed dead shortly after arrival at hospital," the spokesman said.

Group Commander Mick Birch, of West Midlands Fire Service, said: "The incident involved an unattended chip pan left on a cooker in a rear kitchen, which sadly has resulted in an adult male and a male child dying from smoke inhalation.

"West Midlands Fire Service are keen to remind people that chip pans should never be left unattended."

Mr Birch also stressed that smoke was a silent killer and advised householders to formulate an escape plan so they could get out quickly in the event of a fire.

"People never believe that a fire is going to happen to them until it does," Mr Birch said. "Sadly, a tragic accident occurred last night, which has meant that a man and a boy won't be seeing Christmas this year."

Comments