Man dies after being electrocuted on Portsmouth football pitch

He was taken to Portsmouth's Queen Alexandria Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A man has been killed by an electric shock while retrieving a football during a seven-a-side game with friends.

Police and an ambulance were called to Mountbatten Leisure Centre in Portsmouth after a 34-year-old taxi driver, Albert Xhediku, collapsed on the pitch.

He was taken to Portsmouth's Queen Alexandria Hospital where he was pronounced dead. His family have been notified.

He was climbing over the metal fence surrounding the artificial pitch to retrieve the ball when it is thought he was electrocuted.

A group of his friends had hired the area for a friendly kick about. 

Police have cordoned off the area as they continue investigating his death.

South Central Ambulance Aervice say they responded to a report that a man had suffered an "electric shock".

The spokesman for Parkwood Community Leisure, which operates the Mountbatten Centre for Portsmouth City Council, said: "We have launched a formal investigation into this incident alongside our Health and Safety consultants from the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA).

"We extend our deepest sympathy and condolences to the gentleman's family and friends at this difficult time."