May's gaffe 'did not aid Qatada'
Abu Qatada's chances of remaining in the UK were unaffected by Theresa May's botched intervention in his deportation saga last week, it was claimed last night.
The radical cleric had been planning to appeal against attempts to send him back to Jordan, regardless of the Home Secretary's actions, sources close to his legal team revealed.
Mrs May had been accused of provoking Qatada into appealing when she "jumped the gun" by trying to restart deportation proceedings a day before the deadline for an appeal to the European Court of Human Rights expired.
"Leaving the challenge to the last day is a strategic move that gives the Government as little time as possible to prepare its case," the source said.
sportBayern Munich 2 Manchester City 3: City come from two down to beat reigning European Champions
arts + ents... and a chance to paint Booker Prize winning author Hilary Mantel
The ten coldest places on Earth
Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity actor' claims
Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
Krokodil in Mexico? Teenager hospitalised after 'injecting drug into her genitals'
Nelson Mandela memorial: Cheers, jeers and a masterclass from Barack Obama that stole the show
- 1 Mountain goats' miraculous escape from avalanche captured in dramatic video footage
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity actor' claims
- 4 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial
- < Previous
- Next >
£55000 - £66000 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Top 10 Seeking Ma...
£50000 - £55000 per annum + excellent benefits : Pro-Recruitment Group: Senior...
£70000 - £90000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Pro-Recruitment Group: Our leadi...
£50000 - £65000 per annum + BONUS + BENEFITS: Harrington Starr: A leading mark...