Minister to read Bible in four days
Thursday 07 October 2010
A clergywoman intends to speed-read the Bible in four days later this month, to raise money for churches and charities.
The Rev Mary Garbutt, 65, rector of seven rural churches in Northamptonshire and Leicestershire, will read aloud from a King James Bible – a total of about 800,000 words.
Mrs Garbutt will start reading from a 150-year-old Bible at 6am each day, stopping only for short meal breaks and finishing in the early hours of the next day. "I am going to be speed-reading as fast as my mouth will go," she said.
Mrs Garbutt said the money will be raised for the churches she serves, along with charitable projects in Kenya.
- 1 Woman accidentally shoots herself in the head while posing for a selfie
- 2 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 3 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 4 Female Muay Thai champion hustles coaches to give them a beating
- 5 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...